Tips when Painting your Door
Painting is one of those projects in the house that homeowners can easily do by themselves. It may sound simple but if you do not do it correctly, you will just end up wasting money because you will need to do it all over again.
You can always find a company to do this for you but if you want to be practical and save money, you can definitely paint stuff by yourself. Doors are among the parts of the house that need to be painted regularly.
Read these tips on how you can paint your doors in your house to have a successful outcome:
When painting doors, you always have to know the material that you will be painting on.
- Different types of paint should be used for different materials such as metal, wood, or fiberglass.
- You also need to know where the door will be placed. If the door is for the interior spaces, then you can choose any type of paint but for doors that are used for exterior spaces such as the entry doors and the residential garage doors, you must only use exterior type of paint.
The surface of the door must be prepared properly before starting the actual paint job.
- Preparations for this project include sanding and the solvent to be used for cleaning the surface.
- The sanding process will give a smooth finish to the surface and it may also get rid of surface scratches.
- The solvent will help remove dirt and dust which will definitely jeopardize the final finish of your paint job if they are not removed properly.
When it comes to the basics of painting doors, you always have to remove any hardware or wrap them in paper and tape so they won’t be painted on.
- If you choose the taping method, secure parts as close as possible to its borders to avoid spending a lot of time in retouching those areas.
As a general rule, painting exterior doors should always begin with the framework and not the door itself. Interior doors are quite different because molded edges have to be painted first.