A lot of homeowners are looking into replacing their exterior doors; maybe because they are planning to sell their homes or their old doors are already too damaged to serve their purpose.
Although there are plenty of modern materials used in doors today such as steel and fiber glass, wooden doors are still quite popular among homeowners.
Before jumping into a purchase, take a look at these important notes about wooden doors:
Advantages of a Wooden Door
- Wooden doors are considerable light but there are also types of wood that can be heavy. Heavier doors are better when it comes to function and purpose because they are thicker in grain.
- Doors made out of wood can easily be customized according to your liking. There are plenty of designs to choose from and they can be carved into the wood.
- Wooden doors can be cut and shaped depending on the door frame that you have without having to spend a lot of money.
- You can paint over wooden doors to make them look good or you can retain the wooden look to give a sophisticated country feel to your space.
- You can choose wood for any doors in your home including residential garage doors.
Disadvantages of a Wooden Door
- Wooden doors are not the very best options when you live in an area where the weather is pretty extreme. Wood can change color when placed directly under the sun. They can rot and dry overtime making them susceptible to damage.
- Rain and wood also do not go well together. Rain can soften the wood even though it is a thicker type.
- Wooden doors are often not insulated. You will need to pay extra to install weather stripping to the doors.
- Wood can easily crack and split especially if the weather shifts from cold to warm sharply. This means you need to pay additional fees to repair the door or to hide those imperfections.
Before buying a wooden door, always consider the weather in your area. You also need to research on the perfect type of wood that will function well and look great in your exterior too.